Welcome to my blog!

I'm a divorced mom with a teenage daughter and two pre-teen sons. Writing is my first love. When I'm not writing or working or playing taxi to the kids, I also toy with photography and baking.

So, basically, my camera rarely sees the light of day and my mixer stands in the corner in permanent time-out.

To see some samples of my writing, you can check out my website: www.csrickard.com

Friday, November 6, 2009

Self-reliant authors

Holt uncensored had an interesting post about publishing spending and mid-list and debut authors. They used Seth Harwood as an example of what the 'next generation of authors' may look like, out of necessity.

While I don't see myself mimicing Seth's path to publishing, several of the things he did to get published I view as beneficial and necessary to debut authors. I also agree that given the trend at the publishing houses, it will be incumbant upon the author to essentially market themselves. Of course, that means dipping into personal funds to help get the word out.

You have to spend money to make money.

When I sign a contract (yes -- the power of positive thought), I am not anticipating much in the way of an advance. Whatever I do receive will go completely to marketing the book. I still have 2-3 years before I'll have my manuscript to the point where I'm ready to query an agent, but in the meantime, I'm reading and studying everything I can on marketing books.

I don't like going into things ignorant. I also don't like waiting till the last minute to understand something. While I enjoy my spontaneous weekend jaunts occasionally, I'll admit that I'm a planner. Writing is my dream job. I intend to do everything within my ability to make it a real job.

No comments: