Welcome to my blog!

I'm a divorced mom with a teenage daughter and two pre-teen sons. Writing is my first love. When I'm not writing or working or playing taxi to the kids, I also toy with photography and baking.

So, basically, my camera rarely sees the light of day and my mixer stands in the corner in permanent time-out.

To see some samples of my writing, you can check out my website: www.csrickard.com

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Recieved my talk-to-type software

I'm trying this one more time. My Dragon NaturallySpeaking software arrived in the mail the other day. I use windows XP and it installed without an issue. The microphone seems to work fine and I played around with it using MS Word, the software I'm using to write my manuscript. I took some time and entered all the made-up words in my fantasy novel. Entering the words into the custom dictionary was fairly intuitive. I simply typed the words and then recorded the way they sound. All of the words entered without an issue except for two. I tried repeatedly to record them but I kept getting an error for both. My dishwasher was running in the background at the time, so I suspected that interfered with the sound. However, it should have affected all of the words not just those particular two. I moved to another room and tried recording those two words. This time they entered without a problem.

I'm frustrated because this is the second time I've written this blog entry. I'm using Dragon NaturallySpeaking to dictate the entry and I had three paragraphs written the first time. I noticed that it does not capitalize the first word of the first sentence automatically. However it will do that after each period. When I put my mouse back up to change the first letter of the entry to a capital the backspace button acted as a carriage return, putting the text on the next line. When I hit the delete button to try and get it back up, it ended up going to a new blank post and deleting everything that I had already typed. That's never happened before, so I'm not sure what's going on. It doesn't make sense that the dictating software would affect those two buttons, but I'm not sure what else could have caused it as I hadn't said anything while doing it I simply used the keyboard.

This time it seems to working fine. Perhaps it was just a fluke. Regardless, I'm looking forward to using it to work on my manuscript this weekend. Finally.

No comments: