Welcome to my blog!

I'm a divorced mom with a teenage daughter and two pre-teen sons. Writing is my first love. When I'm not writing or working or playing taxi to the kids, I also toy with photography and baking.

So, basically, my camera rarely sees the light of day and my mixer stands in the corner in permanent time-out.

To see some samples of my writing, you can check out my website: www.csrickard.com

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Planting herbs...in the fall

I have finally gotten around to picking up some potted herbs from Lowes and Home Depot over the weekend. I've been wanting to establish a small herb garden for awhile, but just haven't had the time or opportunity till now. Yes, I know it's October, but when you live in Florida, you can pretty much plant stuff year round. I would much rather be living further north where I would be walking around to the sound of red and gold leaves crunching under foot this time of year. Unfortunately, I live in a state where our leaves go straight from green to brown in December/January. Sometimes you can catch a few rebel leaves brazenly sporting some yellow or, if you are really lucky, a bit of red, but that doesn't occur often. So until I can move, I've decided to make the best of it. That includes planting some herbs in the fall.

After a few emails with a friend of my from the UK, I realized I was a bit disappointed that my development, which is deed restricted, doesn't allow vegetable gardens. I would like to have a small veggie garden as well as an herb garden. I had resigned myself to simply putting my herbs in long rectangular pots on my lanai (what Floridians call a screened in back porch), when I stopped. Couldn't I also grow a few veggies in pots on my lanai?

Hmm...why not? So I headed back out to Lowes and Home Depot and picked up a few potted veggies: three types of tomatoes: cherry, yellow and red; four types of peppers: green bell, sweet orange, poblano, and mucho nacho (that's what the tags called them); some butter lettuce and brussel sprouts. Okay, okay, the brussel sprouts weren't planned, but I always have a hard time finding good, fresh brussel sprouts.

Pleased with my sneaky way of getting around a ban veggie gardens, I dove back in to re-potting my herbs and my new veggies. I got half way through transferring the plants to the pots I purchased when I read the smaller print on the bag of organic vegetable garden soil I was using to re-pot. It said, "in-ground use only."

So, what? It doesn't work when used in containers? This made no sense to me. I had also already purchased two large bags and was over half way finished re-potting. I really didn't feel like buying something new and starting over again. Besides, soil is soil, right?

Of course, I have no idea if any of the plants will grow. I don't really have a green thumb. My sister and mother are wonderful with gardens. Plants seem to let me walk into gardens, but if I even look like I may lift a hand to actual do something, they automatically start to wilt.

Hopefully this time the plants will live long enough for me to see some fruit for my effort, literally.


No comments: