Welcome to my blog!

I'm a divorced mom with a teenage daughter and two pre-teen sons. Writing is my first love. When I'm not writing or working or playing taxi to the kids, I also toy with photography and baking.

So, basically, my camera rarely sees the light of day and my mixer stands in the corner in permanent time-out.

To see some samples of my writing, you can check out my website: www.csrickard.com

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

My sister doesn't like me anymore

It's been a running joke for years that I gave birth to my sister's daughter. My sister and I look a lot alike in the face, but as kids, she had blond hair, blue eyes and dimples. She also got really moody once/month. I have dark hair, green eyes and no dimples. I also rarely have mood swings...like once every few years. Jess is like my sister in a lot of ways, including a strong tendency towards spiteful behavior. I lost count of the number of times I yelled at Jess when she was a toddler, calling her Lori by mistake.

As fate would have it, my 8 year old niece, Kaylee, doesn't look like me, but her personality is closer to mine than her mother's. Kaylee is the only liberal in a rather conservative immediate family. She has no idea what a liberal is, but she naturally takes after me, who is somewhere between liberal and libertarian and some other political mutt mix.

My phone rang as I sat down to dinner. My sister. "Hey!"

"I really don't like you."

I grinned. "Cool! What'd I do now?"

"You're a bad influence on Kaylee."

I hadn't spoken to my niece in awhile. Kaylee doesn't like to talk much on the phone, but she's quite verbal face-to-face. I instantly guessed what had happened and laughed aloud. "She's going vegetarian!"

Lori paused. "Yeah," her voice as unenthusiastic as humanly possible.

I punch a fist in the air. "Way to go Kaylee! I knew you had it in you."

"Oh shut up."

I laughed. "I never said anything to her about that. Ever."

My sister sighed. "I know. She's never really eaten meat. I mean she'd eat it sometimes, but never very much. Last week she decided she didn't want to eat meat anymore."

I couldn't stop smiling. I never mentioned my diet decision to my nieces. I think they remember I don't eat meat, but it was never a big deal to me, so I never really discussed it. I'm enjoying the irony of Lori having to deal with a daughter like me while I had to deal with a daughter like her.

Being a vegetarian probably doesn't sound like that big a deal, but my sister's family is very meat and potatoes. My nephew even hunts. So having a vegetarian in the family is quite funny, if you ask me.

No comments: