Welcome to my blog!

I'm a divorced mom with a teenage daughter and two pre-teen sons. Writing is my first love. When I'm not writing or working or playing taxi to the kids, I also toy with photography and baking.

So, basically, my camera rarely sees the light of day and my mixer stands in the corner in permanent time-out.

To see some samples of my writing, you can check out my website: www.csrickard.com

Monday, September 21, 2009

Back on the blog again

Wow...long time, no post. Summer was crazy with work, as I mentioned multiple times in my previous posts. Everything's caught up now, so I can resume my blogging. Unfortunately, this tends to be the first thing I drop when time becomes tight.

Let's see, first up is the Worldcon report. Montreal was wonderful. I'm not much of a city person, but I really enjoyed the european flair: loved the cafe's and patisseries (yummm) and the architecture in old town Montreal was amazing. The conference was interesting. I attended multiple sessions pretty much back-to-back each day. Friday my enthusiasm had been almost sucked dry with the quality of sessions, but the last one that day made the rest well worth the wait. It turned out to be the trend for the rest of the conference. Not that all of the sessions were bad, rather most of the ones I attended didn't dig into details as I was hoping. Instead they tended to glaze over topics or discuss basics when I was ready for the next level. However, there were many people attending who thoroughly enjoyed most of the sessions I was in and seemed to get a lot out of it. I think it just depends on where you are in your writing and research of publishing.

I got to meet a few author's whose books I've read, which was nice. I enjoyed the sessions with Patrick Rothfuss and Brandon Sanderson. I found I got a lot out of those panels. Of course, all of their books I own are on my kindle, so getting an autograph wasn't possible unless I purchased another book. Ah, one of the downsides of e-books I hadn't considered. Still, I prefer e-books to paperback/hardcover for shear quantity I can carry and store. Not to mention they save a few trees!

On the personal writing front, I finally, FINALLY have found my main character's voice! It's only taken about 2 years, multiple edits, and numerous growls of frustration. I'm still honing it, but at least I can hear her and feel her now. Up till this point, it's been a real struggle for me. I think one of my biggest blocks with her has been her name, as stupid as I know that sounds. I really liked the name I had for her, but it didn't fit with this world. I kept telling myself it could work and ignored the fact that it wasn't. Grudgingly, I decided to try writing the first chapter with a name common to this world and what do you know? I suddenly found her personality seeping into mind as I wrote. After a few pages I stopped, re-read what I wrote, then began to kick myself for waiting so long to change her name! Oh well, it's all good. I think lessons learned the hard way end up making you so much better.

No comments: