Welcome to my blog!

I'm a divorced mom with a teenage daughter and two pre-teen sons. Writing is my first love. When I'm not writing or working or playing taxi to the kids, I also toy with photography and baking.

So, basically, my camera rarely sees the light of day and my mixer stands in the corner in permanent time-out.

To see some samples of my writing, you can check out my website: www.csrickard.com

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Blond moments

After posting on the things we can learn from boys yesterday, I got to thinking about my daughter, Jess. She's the only blond in our family, however my sister and mother were basically platinum blonds as kids. When they reached their early to mid-twenties, they had become brunettes. My daughter refuses to accept her fate.

Regardless, as the only blond, we've taken to referring to her random lack of common sense as a "blond moment." I will preface this by stating she's actually quite intelligent and normally has good common sense. But occasionally she spaces out and the things that she says or does as a result are hysterical. Here are a few of my favorite blond moments:

Age: 15
Jess is driving and I'm in the passenger seat. We come to a red light where several cars have already stopped. I notice she takes longer to slow down than I would prefer but I say nothing as she finally brakes, laughing as she does so. "What's so funny?"

"I just had the ultimate blond moment!" She's still laughing.

"What?"

"I couldn't figure out why the car wasn't stopping." She laughs aloud again.

I tell her to pull over and switch seats with me.

Age: 14
It's December and I need some boxes to wrap presents. I stop at the dollar store to grab a few packs. There are two options: White Shirt Boxes for $1.99 and Decorated Shirt Boxes for $3.99. I start grabbing the white shirt boxes.

Jess stands next to me. "What happens if you put a colored shirt in them?"

I look at her and try to figure out what she's talking about. After a moment I understand what she means, but don't get a chance to respond because she interrupts me.

"Oh, wait. Nevermind. I get it."

My mouth drops. "You were serious?!" I stand in the isle laughing for several minutes before I could stop.

Jess' face is red and she keeps looking up and down the isle. "Mom, it wasn't that funny."

Age: 13
Jess and I are driving somewhere. I don't remember the conversation we were having, but at at one point I comment, "Every Tom, Dick and Harry."

"Oh! The Beatles!"

I lost it. I laughed so hard.

"They aren't the Beatles?"


Ah, my daughter. Most of the time she's moody and grumpy, often becoming a six year old when she fights with her brothers. But she comes up with some funny stuff sometimes. The problem is it's always unintentional!

No comments: