Welcome to my blog!

I'm a divorced mom with a teenage daughter and two pre-teen sons. Writing is my first love. When I'm not writing or working or playing taxi to the kids, I also toy with photography and baking.

So, basically, my camera rarely sees the light of day and my mixer stands in the corner in permanent time-out.

To see some samples of my writing, you can check out my website: www.csrickard.com

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Finished the Chapter

Well I did, in fact, finish my chapter on Monday. I'm not too pleased with the ending. It felt rushed, but I finished it...or did I?

I pushed to finish because I tried to commit to 3 pages per day rule. It took me most of the month, when I had the time, to write the chapter. I really liked this one, too. I think it was one of my better scene descriptions. As a first draft, it isn't perfect, but it is one of the best first drafts I've written. The end, however, doesn't hold to the same quality as the rest of the chapter. I think this is because I rushed it.

I keep coming back to the idea that you can't rush words to paper. They should flow, have a rhythm. I like the concept of dedicating a set amount of time each day to write. The problem is committing to a set number of pages to complete in a set amount of time.

Sometimes I'll spend all of my writing time revising pages I wrote before. I may not add any new pages. In fact, in some cases I end up with a smaller word count, but almost always the chapter is better than it was when I first started. So did I accomplish anything because I didn't 'add' any new pages or increase word count? Yes, I did.

At the end of the day, it's about how well the chapter flows, whether the story intrigues the reader, and if the scene pulls the reader in.

Remember, adding new words or new pages doesn't make a better book. Sometimes quality improves when you take stuff away!

Oh, and I've already gone back and started to edit the end of that chapter. I'm done with focusing on pages. I'll stick to dedicating time.

No comments: