Welcome to my blog!

I'm a divorced mom with a teenage daughter and two pre-teen sons. Writing is my first love. When I'm not writing or working or playing taxi to the kids, I also toy with photography and baking.

So, basically, my camera rarely sees the light of day and my mixer stands in the corner in permanent time-out.

To see some samples of my writing, you can check out my website: www.csrickard.com

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Busy week

I haven't had time to write the past two days. Between working, the holiday, and getting last minute stuff to pack for my daughter's two week trip to summer camp (she left this morning) it's been rather busy.

However, I'm sitting down this morning and have already begun. I'll be able to catch up for lost time the past two days, as I hadn't included weekends in my time commitment slot. These weekend 'breaks' provide me flexibility when week day events don't go as planned. And I'm all for flexibility!

Nathan had an interesting post the other day regarding promoting your book. I found it rather timely as the main reason I started this blog was to expose myself to others in the industry. I want to start making my name known, hopefully only for positive things, prior to having an agent and getting published. The earlier you start to know people and they start to know you, I think the better it is for you in the long run.

Once a book is published, a blog and associated website are also great tools for advertising. In fact, in this day and age, I honestly can't understand why an author wouldn't have at least a website. I know that I, personally, research every single author who interests me. And the very first thing I look for is a website. I'm still REALLY knew to blogging, so that isn't even second on my list, but it's starting to move up to that slot.

The one thing I keep hearing a lot about is word-of-mouth is the best tool for promotion. I agree. The problem is that in order to have word-of-mouth, people have to know you're out there. So I think it works like dominoes. The first thing to do is get the word out. Once word is out, hope that people like the book enough to recommend it...and they told two friends, and they told two friends, and so on. Theoretically, it works along the lines of wildfire spreading. Once it starts, it just takes off.

I'd like to see a nice California style wildfire working with my novel!

No comments: