Welcome to my blog!

I'm a divorced mom with a teenage daughter and two pre-teen sons. Writing is my first love. When I'm not writing or working or playing taxi to the kids, I also toy with photography and baking.

So, basically, my camera rarely sees the light of day and my mixer stands in the corner in permanent time-out.

To see some samples of my writing, you can check out my website: www.csrickard.com

Friday, June 27, 2008

One or More Books

I've been going back and forth between whether to focus solely on one book or project (since my fantasy book is part 1 of a 4 part series), or work on two different books simultaneously. Why work on two at one time? Well, at first I wasn't sure. It would be easy enough to simply jot down plot ideas throughout the year and come back to them when the first book is finished. However, I find that occasionally I need a break from the book I'm writing.

At these times, I sit, staring at the screen, attempting to get through a scene with little success. Sometimes the scene is transitional and, relative to the previous chapter, boring. Other times I'm not sure I like the scene I'm writing or just can't get enthusiastic about it. At the same time, I don't have any better ideas.

I've read of other authors who churn out multiple books each year. I don't know how they do it. Okay, that's not completely true. I do know that most of them, not all, sacrifice quality for quantity. This is something I refuse to do.

With that said, I think there is something to the thought of having two diverse projects working at the same time. When ideas are focused and clear, writing flows on the page. But when you are 'stuck', sometimes I think it's better to walk away and focus your full attention elsewhere. If you have another idea, something very different from the one you were working on, then it provides the needed break. It also keeps you practicing the art of writing and telling stories.

Writing in this manner will probably double the time it takes to complete each book. This is a sacrifice I'm willing to accept. I would rather take 2-3 times as long to complete a book and have it be the best I can make it, than complete it within a defined time frame through sheer force of will. I don't think creative juices can be squeezed out of a person. I think they need to flow freely in order to be their best.

No comments: